Otoplasty is simple process for great results
What is Otoplasty?
Otoplasty is a very simple and safe procedure that corrects the defects and deformities which ear suffers from, whether it is protruding ear, the large ear, or other defects. Ear surgery is a safe cosmetic procedure suitable for all age groups.
Many people adopt Otoplasty for completely cosmetic reasons; like cases of prominent ear treatment, and ear reduction cases. Nevertheless, there are other reasons that require performing Otoplasty for purely health reasons, such as; cases of birth defects; like the buried ear that requires ear’s reshaping, and the incomplete ear condition in children that requires ear reconstruction, which is one of the most complex types of Otoplasty.
Candidates for Otoplasty
- Who is healthy, and free from certain diseases that prevent her/him from undergoing Otoplasty.
- In a child case, the child’s ear cartilage must be in a stable condition, sufficient enough to perform Otoplasty operation.
- Who is healthy and suffers from protruding ears.
- Who is healthy and suffers from large ears.
There is a list of instructions you need to follow before undergoing Otoplasty operation, to ensure your safety during the procedure and to ensure its success. Which are:
- Abstain from all blood diluting drugs, such as; Ibuprofen, and Multi- Vitamine Group, for they contain (A,E), minimum a week before.
- Abstain from smoking a month before Otoplasty operation, as it affects Oxygen level which is crucial for the healing process.
- Conducting the necessary medical tests and taking certain medications, which contribute to removing any problem that may hinder the operation or the success of its results.
- Abstain from all kinds of stimulants, ten days minimum, as they prevent the anesthesia process.
- Refrain from natural blood-diluting drinks, such as; green tea, raspberry juice and pineapple.
- Consult the doctor about the current medications being taken, before the procedure to ensure they don’t interfere with the operation.
Stages of Otoplasty
Step 1: Clinical Examination
Step 2: Anesthesia
Step 3:The Surgical Incision
Step 4: Otoplasty Process
Step 5: Closing the incision
The doctor will dictate you a list of very important tips and instructions that you need to commit to, to get the best results, which are;
- Abstain from swimming, or doing hard exercises, for a month at least.
- Commit to wearing the ears’ corset after removing the bandages, for a period of two to six weeks, to preserve the shape that has been sculpted and shaped for the ears and cartilages.
- Avoid lifting heavy things, and keep your head straight, until the wound has properly healed.
- Abstain from smoking, for two months after the operation, to accelerate the recovery process.
- Avoid direct exposure to sunlight for two weeks after Otoplasty.
- Keep the head up when sleeping, by using a medical pillow.
- Keep the ears’ area away from water for a week, and keep using ointments and moisturizing creams to speed up the skin’s healing in the operation area.
- Refrain from blood dilutings, whether medicines, or natural drinks, to avoid bleeding.